behind the scenes
Open Meeting Policy
Board of Directors Meetings
In accordance with requirements of the Communications Act of 1934, 47 U.S.C. 396, et seq. as amended, and certification requirements promulgated by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, as well as our ongoing policy of open meetings, WDVX publishes the schedule of meetings of its Board of Directors. Information about WDVX’s open meeting policy is also announced regularly on the air. Notice of board meetings can be requested by sending an e-mail to the station. The schedule is listed at the end of this document.
Notification Procedures for Specified Meetings
- Reasonable notice of all company Board of Directors and Community Advisory Council “meetings” (1) will be made at least one week prior to the meeting. The notices will also appear on WDVX’s web page.
- The station will give advance notice of the fact that a regularly scheduled meeting, which is usually open to the public, will be “closed” (2) and the notice of the closing will be disseminated in the same manner as the notice of an open meeting. If a meeting or portion of a meeting is closed to the public, a written statement containing an explanation of the reasons for closing the meeting will be made available to the public within a reasonable time thereafter or, in the alternative, the written explanation for a closed meeting will be made available to the public at the offices of WDVX or a copy of the explanation will be mailed to any person requesting one.
- Persons specifically requesting to be notified of meetings will be informed by letter, e-mail, facsimile, or phone at least one week prior to the meeting.
- Once each quarter, the station will make on-air announcements for at least three consecutive days to explain the station’s open meeting policy and provide information about how the public can obtain information regarding specific dates, times and locations.
- The minutes of all open meetings are available to the public upon request. Copies are available at a reasonable charge to cover copying or mailing costs. If member of the public wishes to inspect the minutes at the station, it would not be unreasonable to require an appointment be made with the station as long as the process is not burdensome to the public.
(1) The term “meeting” means the deliberations of at least the number of members of a governing or advisory body, or any committee thereof, required to take action on behalf of such body or committee where such deliberations determine or result in the joint conduct or disposition of the governing or advisory body’s business, or the deliberations relate to public broadcasting.
(2) The law provides exceptions to the open meeting requirement. “Closed” sessions can be conducted to consider matters relating to individual employees, proprietary information, litigation, and other matters requiring the confidential advice of counsel, commercial or financial information obtained from a person on a privileged or confidential basis, or the purchase of property or services whenever the premature exposure of such purchase would compromise the business interests of WDVX.
All meetings are held at 6 p.m. at 2000 Riverview Towers, 900 South Gay Street, Knoxville, TN except for the January 9, 9:45 a.m. at the East Tennessee History Center, 601 South Gay Street, Knoxville, TN. For more information, contact email@example.com or call 865-544-1029, ext. 225.