Sunday Jubilee Blog

Vinyl Frontier Playlist, Sunday 8/11/13

Posted By jimchilds / August 12, 2013

Vinyl Frontier Playlist, Sunday 8/11/13

Recording Artist – Song Title/Album Title (year of release) Record Label 0:00

Leroy Pullins – I’m a Nut/I’m a Nut (1966) Kapp 2:27

The Levee Singers – Take Me Home/Take Me Home (1965) Levee 2:39

levee
l-r Bob Christopher, Ronnie Dawson, Smokey Montgomery, Ed Bernet. photo from homepage of Ed Bernet.

Smokey Montgomery of The Light Crust Doughboys formed the Levee Singers to capitalize on the folk boom and work The Levee, a Dallas venue of the 1960′s. In addition to Ronnie and Smokey, members at that time were former Pittsburgh Steeler Ed Bernet and Lewis and Clark College music major and future financial planner Bob Christopher.

Fred Sokolow – Two Part Invention #8/Bluegrass Banjo Inventions (1977) Kickin Mule 0:50

John Stanfeld – Brown/Carolina 12 String (1977) Philo 3:58

The Levee Singers – 88 Days in the County Jail/Take Me Home (1965)  Levee 2:32

Ronnie Speeks – Lonesome Me/single (1966) Fraternity 2:25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RYyNgRDdYo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kuc3t5vuuZM

Lonnie Mack – Wham/The Wham of That Memphis Man (1963) 2:12

Ronnie Dawson – Wham Bam Jam/Monkey Beat (1994) No Hit 2:18

SPORTATORIUM59

Born in Waxahachie, Texas on August 11, 1939 and raised in Corsicana and Waxahachie, Ronnie broke into show business at the Dallas Sportatorium’s “Big ‘D’ Jamboree” in the late 1950′s. The Jamboree’s impresario, Ed McLemore, led Ronnie to Dick Clark, leading to two releases on Swan in 1959 and 1960. Alas, fallout from the “Payola” scandal would stall Ronnie’s career, as Swan and Dick Clark were constrained severely by the scandal. Click here for a nice summary of Ronnie’s career.

The Farmer Boys  Cool Down Mame/single (1956) Capitol 2:32

Ronnie Dawson – Veronica/Just Rockin’ & Rollin’ (1996) 3:36

Kenny Smith – I’m Gonna Be Gone/single (early 70′s) MCM 3:07

Ronnie Dawson – Sucker For Cheap Guitar/Just Rockin’ & Rollin’ 3:12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8zPmiLc4R4

Ronnie Dawson, circa 1959
Ronnie Dawson, circa 1959

Ronnie Dee (Dawson) – Action Packed/single (1959) Back Beat 2:10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xI-YTedp8Sk

ronnie-dawson2

Ronnie Dawson – Shim Sham Shimmy/Rockinitis (1989) No Hit 2:50

Jimmy Edwards
Jimmy Edwards

Jimmy Edwards – Love Bug Crawl/single (1957) Mercury 1:58

He was born James Wiley Bullinton in Mississippi, but was working in the General Motors Buick plant in Flint, Michigan when he first cut Love Bug Crawl in 1957. It was issued on the local Wednesday label before getting picked up by Mercury.

Two more Mercury singles failed to chart despite My Honey and Do That Again being mighty fine records. RCA took a chance with him but they too couldn’t get him on the hit parade. (from Rockabillyville BlogSpot.)

Ronnie Dawson – Rockin’ Bones/Rockin’ Bones (1959) Rockin’ Records 1:54

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y04uZSkRg4

Ronnie Dawson – Ain’t That a Kick in the Head/single (1960) Swan 2:34

autographed circa 1995, Cumberland Ave, Knoxville, TN
autographed circa 1995, Cumberland Ave, Knoxville, TN

Hymn Time

The Levee Singers – Oh, What a Beautiful City/Take Me Home (1965) Levee 2:40

The Gospel Ways Trio – I Find Peace in a Prayer/single (1967) Circle “D” 2:26

Comments (0) • Tags (2) • Permalink

Vinyl Frontier playlist, 8/4/13

Posted By jimchilds / August 6, 2013

Vinyl Frontier playlist, 8/4/13

Recording Artist – Song Title/Album Title (year of release) Record Label 0:00

Porter Wagoner – Itchin’ For My Baby (1955) RCA 2:30

Fiddlin’ Burke Barbour – Dance All Night/Blue Ridge Mountain Music (1970) Kanawha 2:13

Wry Straw – I Get the Blues/From Earth to Heaven (1978) June Appal 2:17

Alex Bevan – Silver Wings/Springboard (1976) Fiddler’s Wind 3:29

Clem Myers – Whiskey Before Breakfast/NE Regional Oldtime Fiddle Champion (1974) Philo 1:45

Buddy Rose & the Country Tune Twisters: Buddy Rose, banjo; Jim Farmer, fiddle; George Hazlewood, mandolin; Jack Pate, guitar (?); Glendell Norris, bass; Edwin Tayor, piano. Jimmy Smith, announcer.  Elizabethton, TN-based Buddy Rose had played with the Sauceman Brothers before this period.

Buddy Rose

Careless Love – George Hazelwood, vocal

Walking on New Grass – Buddy Rose, vocal

We Shall Meet Someday – Jimmy Smith, lead vocal

Turkey in the Straw – Jim Famer, Fiddle

The Lonesome Rhodes – The Least You Could Have Done/The Lonesome Rhodes (1967) RCA 2:36

Jerry Douglas – Time Gone By/Under the Wire (1986) MCA 2:47

Willis Alan Ramsey – Painted Lady/Willis Alan Ramsey (1972) Shelter 3:02

lonesome rhodes

The Lonesome Rhodes (Sandy and Donna) were the daughters of Dusty and the nieces of Porter Wagoner Show comedian Speck Rhodes. I played this song on this show on May the 5th and all I know about these singers is in the post for that program.

Should you require an introduction to Jerry Douglas, here it is: he got his professional start early with a slot in the Country Gentlemen at 17 and after a couple of years moved on to stints with JD Crowe, Boone Creek and The Whites, never for more than a year or two. “Under the Wire,” his third solo album, followed a couple of “supergroup” outings: the Dreadful Snakes and the Bluegrass Album Band. With only one released album to his credit,

Willis Alan Ramsey is a cult figure for some. He recorded tracks for a second album which has never seen the light of day. Supposedly, if you ask him about his “other” album he will reply, “Why? Don’t you like this one?”

Connie Hall – The Bottle or Me/single (1959) Mercury 2:20

Bobby De Pagter – I’m Helpless/single (1955) DeLuxe 2:12

George McCormick – Doubt/single (1954) MGM 2:12

Jimmie Osborne – Married on Paper (1957) King 2:30

From the hamlet of Walden, Kentucky (located between Williamsburg and Corbin), Connie Hall had a few medium hits on Decca in the early to middle 1960′s.

Bobby De Pagter recorded a session for DeLuxe in 1955 an then disappears from the annals of country music. Even the exhaustive discographies of Praguefrank at countrydiscography.blogspot.com are silent. Fortunately, the 45 I have is a white label biography pressing, something Sid Nathan’s labels did a lot. From the label: Out of the hundreds of auditions held by DeLuxe A&R man Henry Stone held in Miami, Florida, recently, the voice of Bobby De Pagter stood out above all  others. Bobby is from Tampa, Florida and is married. He writes most of his own material and sings the songs with a feeling seldom heard in today’s market. When he was quite young, Bobby De Pagter was blinded in an accident but he has not let that interfere with his first love – music. If anything, it has helped him concentrate more on his writing and singing. Bobby is only twenty-three years old and he devotes many hours a day to his music. With the aid of his lovely wife and his own strong determination, Bobby will be a big star.

George McCormick was played rhythm guitar and was a backing vocalist for Porter Wagoner for many years and sang featured solos on the Porter Wagoner Show regularly. The songwriter credit for “Itchin’ for My Baby” is Wagoner/George Earl. Presumably, “George Earl” is a pseudonym for George McCormick and Earl Aycock who performed as “George and Earl” in the 50′s.

Jimmie Osborne, “The Kentucky Folk Singer,” was a very popular singer-songwriter on King in the 50′s, oddly neglected today. His own song “The Death of Kathy Fiscus” was his biggest hit. Sadly, Osborne took his own life in 1958 at age 35.

Hymn Time

The Homeward Way Quartet – Stepping on the Clouds/Redemption Draweth Nigh (mid 70′s) 1:55

The Dunsmore Family – I’ll Have a New Body/Country Church House (early 70′s) Mission 2:00

The Homeward Way Quartet – I’m Just a Pilgrim/Redemption Draweth Nigh (mid 70′s) 2:31

The Gospel Three Singers – I’m Ready to Fly Away/Inside the Home Gate (1970′s) Jordan 2:00

Comments (0) • Tags (1) • Permalink

Vinyl Frontier Playlist, Sunday 7/21/13

Posted By jimchilds / July 23, 2013

Vinyl Frontier Playlist, Sunday 7/21/13

Don Gibson & King Cotton Kinfolks- Carolina Breakdown (RCA Victor) 1951

Old Time Tunes

Clayton McMichen & Georgia Wildcats- Wild Cat Rag (Columbia)1931

Sam McGee- Knoxville Blues (Vocalion) 1926

Two Poor Boys- Old Hen Cackle (Perfect) 1931

Real Country Music

Blue Sky Boys- Kentucky (RCA Victor) 1947

Armstrong Twins- I Wonder Where You Are Tonight (Four Star) 1950

The Armstrong Twins: Floyd, left and Lloyd, right

Harry Truman said, “The only thing new in the world is the history you don’t know.” I guess that makes the Armstrong Twins a new group, for me anyway.  Floyd played guitar and sang lead and Lloyd played mandolin and sang the harmony part. Lloyd played guitar as well, but switched to mandolin when the boys father “…took me to the Square Deal Pawnshop .  I’ll never forget It .  Daddy took me over there and had me to pick something out.  They had a whole row up on top.  I said I’ll take that little thing right there.  I didn’t even know what it was.  It’s a wonder I didn’t pick out a tuba.  It just happens that a mandolin goes with the guitar.”

Rebe & Rabe- Helen (Tennessee) 1952

Rare Bluegrass

Chief Powhatan- Are You Lonesome Tonight (Salem) 1965

Chief Powhatan- Rosie (Salem) 1965

chief powhatan

CHIEF POWHATAN KEEPS ON PICKIN’

If staying power made stars, bluegrass musician Chief Powhatan would be in the hall of fame. But it doesn’t and he isn’t. For 45 years he’s played everything from pastoral college picnics to the smokiest Southern roadhouses with only one regret: “If I had it to do again, I wouldn’t do the rough places,” he said. Oh, the drunks he’s seen and the fights they’ve fought — sometimes with him. Like the time he defended himself from two troublemakers with his feet because he didn’t want them to break his new Gibson guitar, which occupied his hands. Two gut kicks did the trick, he said with a grin. “There’s things I would turn down now that I couldn’t turn down 40 years ago,” said Powhatan, who’s 65 and barrel-chested as ever. “But I’ve seen it all.” Chief Powhatan’s real name is Floyd Powhatan Adkins. Raised by Chickahominy parents in Providence Forge, Adkins taught himself to play the guitar by watching others. He took the stage for the first time when he was 13 and hasn’t stepped down since. At 8 p.m. Friday, Chief Powhatan and his Bluegrass Braves will perform at the Chesterfield County Fair, an event he has played many times over the years. There won’t be any heavy smoke or airborne beer bottles, just the Chief and his band of pickers. Best known and recognized for the colorful Indian headdress he wears over his shaven head, Adkins said, “People have told me, `Powhatan, don’t you ever rob a bank in Virginia because they’d find you in a second.’ People never forget me.” Indeed, he’s one of a kind in these parts. Drafted in October 1945, Adkins was stationed at Fort Knox, Ky., where he was inspired to write his one and only hit — a heartbreak ballad called “Rosie,” which was about a soldier’s sorrow after reading a Dear John letter. That soldier was really a man in Adkins’ unit, and Adkins said the song practically wrote itself. Released almost 20 years later in 1964 on the Salem label, “Rosie” was a regional success. “You couldn’t find a jukebox between Roanoke and Winchester that didn’t have it,” Adkins said. “I had 10 or 11 states that really played it, like the Carolinas, Georgia, Tennessee, Iowa and Kentucky.” A recent royalty check totaled $17, so “Rosie” is still being played somewhere, said Adkins, whose last album came in 1972. Adkins became a truck driver after his military discharge and scheduled performances for his layovers, playing nights through Tennessee and Virginia and driving freight all day. “You could go into any town and find a band to play with you in 30 minutes,” he said. Now, five days a week, Adkins is a cashier at the Crown gasoline station across from Cloverleaf Mall. “I bet five people don’t know my real name at that company and I’ve been working for them since 1976,” he said. Over the years, he said, he’s rubbed shoulders with the likes of Jim Reeves, Chet Atkins, Roy Acuff, Bill Monroe and Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs. He includes many of the Grand Ole Opry stars’ songs in his act. Slowed by chronic sinus problems and a delicate throat, and living on one kidney since 1986, Adkins said, “Many times on stage you are so sick you can hardly perform . . . but I don’t think there’s anything that compares with the applause.” So Chief Powhatan lives comfortably in South Richmond and plays on into his 60s. Still touring as far south as Florida, Adkins said he will perform as long as his health allows and the public wants his brand of bluegrass music. When people come up to the bandstand after his show to say they liked it, “that’s your pay right there.” (Chief Powhatan did release at least one LP after 1972, entitled “More in ’84.” – ed)

RICHMOND TIMES-DISPATCH Copyright (c) 1992, Richmond Times-Dispatch Wednesday, August 26, 1992 By John Maloney. Accessed 7/19/13, https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.appalachian/846zfz96LyI Originally online at Guv Bob Report.

Church Brothers- A Sweeter Love I’ll Never Know (Rich-R-Tone) 1950 Lucky Chatman & Ozark Mtn Boys- Blue Grass (Maryland) 1957 (John Duffy’s first record)

Jazz The World Forgot

Cliff Jackson & His Crazy Cats- Horse Feathers (Van Dyke) 1930 Henry Red Allen- It Should Be You (Victor) 1929

Gospel

Frank Hart- I’d Rather Lose My Life Than Jesus (Twin City) unknown year

Red Rector -  Shout and Shine (from the LP “Ballads and Instrumentals” on the Old Homestead label) 1973

Frank Hart – I Realized Last Night I Was Lost (Twin City) unknown year

Comments (0) • Tags (3) • Permalink

Vinyl Frontier Playlist, Sunday 7/14/13

Posted By jimchilds / July 17, 2013

Vinyl Frontier Playlist, Sunday 7/14/13

Artist – Song Title/Album Title (Release Year) Record Label 0:00 Smilin’ Eddie Hill – Bless Your Little Thumpin’ Gizzard/single (1949) Decca 2:53

IraCharlieEddieHill-300x247
l-r: Ira Louvin, Eddie Hill and Charlie Louvin

Charlie Louvin on Eddie Hill: He offered us a job he didn’t even have yet. He’d gone to Memphis and convinced them people that he had the best duet in the business and the best band in the business. He had nothin’ but just talk. So only after that did he ask us if we’d come down…and we did. And the Louvin Brothers were, I suppose, were the hottest that we ever were when we were in Memphis. That was in 1947. (from raisedcountry.com)

Kelly Jones – Angus Campbell/Authentic Old Time Tunes (1975) SPBGMA 1:56 Pete Pyle – It’s So Hard to Be Just a Pal to You (1940) BB 3:00 Red Speeks – Mountain Boy/Nashville Sounds of Country (1972) Red Hed 3:03

Shorty Long – Who Said I Said That/single (1953) Valley 2:35 Johnny Reno – Naughty Mama/single (1958) Valley’s Meadowlark 2:45 Shorty Long – Nine Little Kisses/single (1953) Valley 2:33

Shorty Long
Shorty Long

Well, I was wrong about Shorty Long’s “Western” image. Since I last looked him up, a lot more information has become easily available. It appears that his “Santa Fe Ranch” was in his home state of Pennsylvania. I had to laugh.

John Henry III – Go Dan Tucker/single (unknown date) Boogertown 2:35 Jim Epperson – Jungle Boogie/single (1976) Dogwood 2:15 Con Hunley – Columbus Stockade Blues/single (1976) Prairie Dust 2:25

The Boyd Brothers & Buffalo – Dunlap/single (unknown) Ridge 3:18

boyd bros

If you like this side as much as I do, you’ll be glad to know there is a video to go with it – and a downloadable mp3 on the Vinyl Frontier Blog at vinylfrontier45.wordpress.com

Charlie Rich – River, Stay Away From My Door/She Loved Everybody But Me (1970) RCA 2:48 Charlie & Willie – Hello, Bottle/single (1969) Valley 2:04

I’m not sure who Charlie & Willie (The Johnson Boys) were, but they were on the Jim Clayton era Valley Records label. The Kountry Kings band is credited as the backing on this disc. The Kountry Kings were the house band for Jim Clayton’s Startime television show. In regards to the Startime record label and it’s sister, the reactivated Valley label, Brad Reeves of the Tennessee Archive of Moving Image and Sound (TAMIS) had this to say in 2011:

Yes, the Startime Label  belonged to Jim Clayton, and was a sister label to Valley Records. The engineer…Ray Rose, has worked for Channel 6, WATE since the 1950s, and still employed there at present. Rose played with The Kountry Kings, the house band for Clayton’s local tv show , also called “Startime” during the 1960s and 1970s. The show mostly aired on WATE-TV 6 during the 1960s and 1970s.

Clayton bought out local Knoxville record label Valley Records in the late 1960s. Valley was started by Jack Comer, owner of the Deane Hill Country Club, during the early 1950s, and for a few years, released a slew of good local records in all genres. The label had one good-sized hit, the first version of CRYING IN THE CHAPEL, sung by Darrell Glenn. The studio was located on Deane Hill Country Club property. Clayton continued releasing recordings by local artists (many of whom appeared on his television show), on Valley and Startime through the mid-1970s. A few records feature Clayton himself.

Lucille Starr – Crazy Arms/The French Song (1964) A&M 2:41 Doug Jernigan – Orange Blossom Special/Uptown to Country (c1974) Emmons 2:24

Bill Phillips (with Dolly Parton) – Put It Off Until Tomorrow/single (1965) Decca 2:30

Jimmy Arthur Ordge – Old Country Church/Tears From a Country Heart (late 60′s) Point 2:30

ordge

JIMMY ARTHUR ORDGE – Jimmy was born and raised in the Donalda area where he started picking and playing for school house dances. Jim moved to Edmonton in his teens and was a regular on “Old Dad Taylor’s Jubilee Jamboree.” Jimmy did shows and dance jobs around the area and in the early 50′s, he started doing radio and television shows. While playing a club in Whitehorse, he met Al Oster who wrote Jimmy’s first hit, “Irena Cheyene.” “Irena” won him his first Moffat Award. Jim’s other big hits include “Muk Tuk Annie” and “Hershel’s Hemi Half-ton.” When country music hit a decline for a few years, Jimmy diversified and bought himself a business that keeps him busy when not entertaining. Jimmy continues to entertain folks with “That Voice” in the the traditional country style that hasn’t changed in the last four decades and is often a guest artist for the Alberta Country Music Legends touring throughout Alberta.

(From The Association of Canadian Country Music Legends website: accml.com)

Shady Grove Band – Don’t Put Off ’til Tomorrow/On The Line (1987) Flying Fish 3:50 (written by Pete Pyle and Bill Monroe) The Reverend Charley McGill – Wait a Little Longer, Please, Jesus/Have You Met My Friend (1970′s) Portland Sound

Vinyl Frontier Playlist 7/7/13

Posted By jimchilds / July 8, 2013

Vinyl Frontier Playlist 7/7/13

Artist – Song Title/Album Title (Release Date) Record Label 0:00

Clint Howard – Fifty Cents/Looking Off Down the Road (1983) Old Homestead 2:37

Clint Howard
Clint Howard

Clint Howard was part of the group on the seminal LP “Old Time Music at Clarence Ashley’s.”

Graham Townsend – Gilles Roy/…and His Country Fiddle (1967) Banff 2:30

Tracy Nelson – Stay As Sweet As You Are Now/Tracy Nelson Country (1969) Mercury 2:30

Pete McMahan – Reuben’s Ridge/Missouri Fiddin’ No. 2 (early 70′s) none – self-produced

New Dawn – Wild Horses/Single (1979) Thunderhead 3:00

The Dismembered Tennesseans – Sweetheart, You Done Me Wrong/Singing Their Greatest Hits (c1988) none – Self-produced 3:30

New Dawn – I Don’t Know You (c1980) Herringbone 2:38

New Dawn – This Heart of Mine (1979) Thunderhead 2:30

The Dismembered Tennesseans – Crossville Breakdown/Singing Their Greatest Hits (c1988) 2:50

the Dismembered Tennesseans today
the Dismembered Tennesseans today

The Dismembered Tennesseans have been a East Tennessee institution forever it seems. Actually, fiddler Fletcher Bright, banjo player Doc Cullis and lead vocalist and guitarist Bobby Martin joined forces as high school students in 1945. Other members have been added over the years, but these recordings mostly feature the core group.

New Dawn – Ramblin’ Fever/single (c1980) Herringbone 2:46

New Dawn at the 1982 World's Fair, Knoxville, TN l-r Phil Leadbetter, Darryl Wolfe, Kent Leadbetter, Jimmy Milsaps
New Dawn at the 1982 World’s Fair, Knoxville, TN l-r Phil Leadbetter, Darryl Wolfe, Kent Leadbetter, Jimmy Milsaps. photo from Bobby Wolfe bluegrassnotes.com

I know that Kent Leadbetter and legendary dobro player Phil Leadbetter were members of New Dawn. Former Knoxville Grass mandolin player Darryl Wolfe was a member at one point as well. If you know who the rest of the band was at the time these recordings were made, please leave a comment below. I would be most grateful.

Johnny Dollar – Cold, Cold Heart/Mr. Personality (c1967) none – Self-produced 2:45 (Kilgore, TX, 1922)

Johnny Dollar
Johnny Dollar

Johnny Dollar was a significant, if unrecognized, figure in Texas Rockabilly. Author of songs such as “Rockin’ Bones” and “Green Eyed Cat,” Dollar never received the success he deserved.

http://artandseek.net/2013/04/12/this-week-in-texas-music-history-johnny-dollar/

Ray Sanders – Beer Drinkin’ Music/single (1969) Imperial 2:59 (born in Saint John, KY, 1935)

Johnny Hardy – Hold Your Feelings Back (1983) F&L 2:17 (apparently born in Rockmart, GA, mid 40′s)

Autry Inman – You Don’t Live There Anymore/single (1965) Jubilee 2:00 (born in Florence, AL, 1929)

Red Sovine – Bottle, Bottle/Tell Maude I Slipped (1968) Starday 2:36

John Patrick – She’s You and More/single (c1969) Dogwood 2:30

Cedar Ridge – He Wrote My Name/Jesus Wants to Be Your Everything (1980) Thunderhead 1:54

The Emmanuel Trio – Lord Lead Me On/Must I Go Empty Handed (1970) Sing 2:00

The Emmanuel Trio – Born To Serve the Lord/Must I Go Empty Handed (1970) Sing 2:30

The Emmanuel Trio of Griffin, Georgia c1970
The Emmanuel Trio of Griffin, Georgia c1970

LaVerne Tripp – Try a Little Kindness/Sings Country Soul (1973) 1:44